Thursday, May 14, 2009

Food For My Tomatoes










I have a sliding glass door that goes out onto a patio in my backyard from my bedroom. My computer is in my bedroom, so I do a lot of work from this room, and I often keep the sliding glass door open.

Recently, I decided that I wanted to start composting. I love to grow dirt…it’s almost more fun than growing vegetables! This is the first time that I have tried composting in an enclosed structure…a round black plastic garbage can with a fitted lid. My husband drilled holes in it so the organic matter could “breathe”.  The can sits outside on the patio.

This where the word “breathe” takes on new meaning. I am sitting here breathing right now, and I feel like I am out on the farm! Wow…I didn’t know that compost could take on such an aroma! If I didn’t know better, I would say we had cows living out on the patio!

But the truth is, this smell reminds me of my childhood….milking cows and bottle feeding calves.

So while I am working, I am breathing, and while I am breathing I am taken back to fond memories that comfort my soul. And soon, my tomato plants will be comforted as well, with the rich aromatic compost that is almost ready :)

 

No comments: